A beginner’s guide to start a WordPress website from Scratch.
I will be covering the entire process for starting your WordPress website, step-by-step and in an easier way possible. If you follow these steps, by the end of this lesson, you will learn how to start a WordPress website professionally in no time that will help you in generating more leads and revenue.
Here we go…
WordPress is a Content Management System where you can build your own website without having any expertise in HTML coding. It has 59.5% of the market share and is one of the most popular tools to create any website. It used by many good brands like Sony, Tech crunch, Walt Disney Company, etc.
WordPress is of two types, WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
WordPress.com It is a hosted site provided by the WordPress site. It is very user-friendly software. Students can use this software for making any website or blogs. Let’s look at some pros and cons
- It takes care of all the website maintenance including updates, optimization, and backups.
- The option for monetization is limited. Users getting more than 20- 25,000 monthly views can only get an option to apply for advertising.
WordPress.org A self-hosted open-source platform that is available for everyone who wants to start their website or a blog. It’s very intuitive.
- It provides full control of website data and also allows you to modify or to customize your website as per your choice.
- It allows all the monetization options including branding and adding powered by links for advertisements.
Now as you have understood the difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com, For creating your WordPress website, the most important step is to have a domain name and hosting service.
A domain name is nothing but an address or website name. You can have a domain name that could be your first and last name or any unique name by your choice.
As you all are beginners, I will recommend, to go with GoDaddy.com. You can get your domain name at a very reasonable price also they provide up to a 25% off on any new purchase.
Make sure you uncheck both options as it is not required for beginners.
Hosting is a service where you rent some space to store your data and files. Companies provide data servers that they house physically at one location which is known as a data center.
- Log into your Hostinger account by using the same username and password that you used to buy your hosting.
- On the registration page, you will be adding your personal information and on the last page, you will get an option to Instal WordPress.
- Once you are on the installation page, all you have to do is to set up an admin name and password and then just click on install.
- Go to the URL section and type in your website URL address and at the end add ‘/wp-admin’. For example, in my case, it will be https://www.someshnanda.in/wp-admin.
- Enter the same Admin name and password that you used while installing WordPress.
WordPress provides 7000+ free themes. The best ones are Hestia, Astra, Ocean WP, and Neve. You can use any one of them.
- Hover your mouse on Appearance on the left panel and click on themes.
- Click on add now and search for the theme, install it, and activate it.